Please make sure you read the following guidelines closely. If you’re unsure about any of the guidelines, please contact Voiceworks editor Mira Schlosberg here.
We are only able to publish work by writers and artists who are under twenty-five at the time of submission. Please also keep in mind that because of our funding arrangements, we are only able to publish Australian writers and artists. However, international students are excepted from this.
Voiceworks only considers previously unpublished work (which includes personal websites and blogs). We accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your work is accepted for publication elsewhere.
If your submission is unsuccessful, we will notify you as soon as we can and then provide you with detailed feedback a little later. Feedback is written by a small group of volunteers and we receive a lot of submissions, so we appreciate your patience. If you think something’s gone wrong, or you haven’t heard from us three months after the submission deadline, please get in touch.
Voiceworks Online will publish fiction, nonfiction, poetry and comics designed specifically for a digital platform. This means interactive fic, code poetry, hypertext essays, animated comics… if it can’t be printed on a physical page, this is the place for it.
Please submit completed work as a ZIP file containing all of the images, code and other assets used in your work. Comics may be submitted as PDFs, JPEGs or ZIP files, and can be submitted with or without formatting code, it’s up to you! Pitches may be submitted as Word documents or PDFs, or as ZIP files if they contain multiple elements.
Please send no more than two pieces at a time. Word limits are as follows:
Fiction and nonfiction - no more than 3000 words
Poetry - no more than 100 lines
Comics - no more than 10 pages
If you are submitting two pieces, please upload them both in this submission (as two separate documents), rather than creating a second submission.
If you aren’t sure if what you’re working on is the right fit for us, or if you want some guidance developing an idea, please feel free to send us a pitch.
Those seeking to submit work to the print magazine, please see the separate submission categories.
Rates of Pay
$100-$150 per published piece, depending on length and format
Terms of Publication
Express Media publishes work in Voiceworks on a non-exclusive, irrevocable and royalty-free basis. We require writers who will be published in Voiceworks to sign a licence deed granting us permission to publish work in the printed Voiceworks magazine, on the Express Media and Voiceworks websites, and for use in promoting our magazine. Writers retain copyright of their work and are free to use in whatever way they’d like in the future. Please only submit your work if you are satisfied with these terms. For more information about this, please contact us.
Voiceworks is looking for an organised and diligent intern with a passion for words to join our team. We’re keen to hear from people who are familiar with Voiceworks and have an interest in the processes behind getting a literary journal to print.
About Express Media and Voiceworks
Express Media is a national, not-for-profit organisation that provides development opportunities for young people in the literary arts. Express Media’s flagship publication is Voiceworks, a national literary journal featuring exciting new short stories, poetry, nonfiction, comics and art by Australians under the age of 25. Voiceworks is written, edited and produced entirely by young people, and prides itself on providing writers with feedback on their work, whether it is published or not.
We are a small and passionate team that works closely out of our Melbourne office.
- Assist with the processing of Voiceworks submissions, including entering contributor details from Submittable into a Microsoft Excel database and filing and printing submissions
- Undertake administrative tasks, including mail, phone calls, word processing and spreadsheet tasks
- Communicate with Voiceworks contributors via email and respond to enquiries
- Other tasks and duties as directed by the Voiceworks Editor
- If there are other aspects of Express Media’s program with which the intern would like to become familiar, there is potential scope to shadow other staff and assist with other tasks during quieter periods in the publication cycle
- The applicant must be 25 years or under at the time of commencing the internship
- The position is for the equivalent of one short day per week, 10am-3.30pm, with actual days & times to be negotiated
- The internship is expected to last between 3-6 months to cover at least one but ideally two publication cycles (this is negotiable to fit within the needs of the intern)
- The position is voluntary and may fit with the internship project requirements of arts management, editing and publishing, communications or professional writing students
- The Voiceworks Administration Intern reports to the Voiceworks Editor
- The position is located at the Express Media office, The Wheeler Centre, 176 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne
- The intern is covered by appropriate insurance while working at Express Media, and is provided with a workstation and a friendly working environment
- A sound understanding of Express Media and Voiceworks and a commitment to their values
- A demonstrable commitment to a career in arts administration, communications, professional writing and editing or a related area
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- The ability to respond to direction, and work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills and an enthusiasm for administration
- Experience in word processing, spreadsheets, email and internet applications or enthusiasm to learn
How to apply
Your application must include: 1) Your covering letter; 2) Your statement addressing each of the selection criteria (2-page maximum); and, 3) Your current CV (including date of birth and 2 references), all in one document (word or PDF) saved as your last name.
For further information please email Voiceworks Editor Mira Schlosberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close at 11.59pm on Wednesday 31 October , and the successful candidate is expected to begin in the role in early November.