Named after and supported by international best-selling author John Marsden, sponsored by Hachette Australia and administered by Express Media, The John Marsden & Hachette Australia Prize for Young Writers is a developmental award open to Australian secondary schools students in the categories of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
The prize is judged by John Marsden, alongside representatives from Hachette Australia and Express Media.
Fifteen shortlisted writers will be invited to meet John Marsden and participate in an exclusive creative writing workshop.
Prize winners will also receive a cash prize and a book pack of YA titles, courtesy of Hachette Australia.
The prize will be announced and presented in a special event at the 2018 Melbourne Writers Festival.
How to Enter
1. All entries must be received by 9am, Friday 29 June 2018
2. One entry may be submitted, per category, with a maximum of 2 entries across the 3 categories
3. Each entry must be submitted via the submissions portal, with one entry per submission form. DO NOT put multiple submissions in one word or PDF document
4. Submissions of fiction or nonfiction may be up to 3,000 words in length
5. Submissions of poetry may be up to 100 lines in length
6. All entries must be typed and double-spaced
7. Submittable accounts must be created in the entrant’s own name and list the entrant's contact details
Conditions of Entry
1. Entries must be original works, written entirely by the entrant, and must not infringe upon anyone else’s copyright or intellectual property rights
2. Entries must not, either wholly or partly, have previously been published in print or online (with the exception of an entrant’s personal blog or website)
3. The name of the entrant should not be included anywhere on the submission; it should only be entered in the submission form
4. All members currently serving on the Express Media board; and/or all paid, permanent staff of Express Media, are ineligible to enter
5. Entrants under 18 years of age must have permission from a parent/guardian/teacher to enter the prize
Express Media and Hachette Australia each reserve the right not to consider a submission if the conditions of entry above are not complied with.
Note: Entrants must acknowledge and agree to these terms upon submission. Parent/guardian/teacher of the entrant must confirm permission for entry upon submission.
Consideration of Submissions
1. The judges’ decision is final; no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process
2. Only shortlisted entrants will receive feedback on entries
Shortlisted writers from each prize category receive:
● Feedback on their writing from Hachette Australia and Express Media judges
● An invitation to meet John Marsden over lunch hosted by Hachette Australia and Express Media
● An invitation to take part in an exclusive writing masterclass
● An invitation to attend a premiere event as a guest of the Melbourne Writers Festival
The first place winner of each prize category receives the above, plus:
● A $500 cash prize
● Up to $500 travel reimbursement to attend the winners’ announcement event
● A book pack of selected works from Hachette Australia’s young adult publications
● Publication on the Express Media website
● Winner names and an acknowledgement will be printed in Voiceworks, Australia’s premier youth literary journal
For more information please email Rafael at firstname.lastname@example.org