The Hachette Australia Prize for Young Writers is a developmental award open to Australian secondary school-aged students across the nation.
The prize recognises writing excellence in three categories: Fiction, Creative Nonfiction and Poetry. Entries can include writing for readers of any age.
In 2022, submissions open on 30th May and close at 11:59PM AEST Sunday 7th August.
The Prize is sponsored by Hachette Australia and administered by Express Media, Australia’s peak youth literary organisation. Shortlisted writers get the opportunity to receive mentorship from an established author. In 2022, the Hachette Australia Prize for Young Writers Mentor is Zana Fraillon!
The Hachette Australia Prize for Young Writers gives young writers the opportunity to hone their skills under the guidance of some of Australia’s favourite authors. The Prize aims to ignite passion for creative writing and poetry in the minds of Australia’s secondary school students, and to encourage them to pursue writing and publishing opportunities inside and outside of the classroom. The prize is judged by representatives from Hachette Australia and Express Media.
How to Enter
- All entries must be received by 11.59PM AEST, Thursday 7 August 2022
- One entry may be submitted, per category, with a maximum of 2 entries across the 3 categories
- Each entry must be submitted via the submissions portal, with one entry per submission form. DO NOT put multiple submissions in one word or PDF document
- Submissions of fiction or nonfiction may be up to 3,000 words in length
- Submissions of poetry may be up to 100 lines in length
- Entries can include pieces written for readers of any age group
- All entries must be typed and double-spaced
- Submittable accounts must be created in the entrant’s own name and list the entrant's contact details.
Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be original works, written entirely by the entrant, and must not infringe upon anyone else’s copyright or intellectual property rights
- Entries must not, either wholly or partly, have previously been published in print or online (with the exception of an entrant’s personal blog or website)
- The name of the entrant should not be included anywhere on the submission; it should only be entered in the submission form
- All members currently serving on the Express Media board; and/or all paid, permanent staff of Express Media, are ineligible to enter
- Entries are only accepted from secondary school aged students (between the ages of 12 and 18 inclusive)
- Entrants under 18 years of age must have permission from a parent/guardian/teacher to enter the prize
Express Media and Hachette Australia each reserve the right not to consider a submission if the conditions of entry above are not complied with. Note: Entrants must acknowledge and agree to these terms upon submission. Parent/guardian/teacher of the entrant must confirm permission for entry upon submission.
Consideration of Submissions
- The judges’ decision is final; no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process
- Only shortlisted entrants will receive feedback on entries.
The prize winner in each category will receive:
- $500 courtesy of Hachette Australia
- publication of their work on the Express Media website
- their names and an acknowledgement printed in Voiceworks, Australia’s premier youth literary journal.
All fifteen shortlisted writers will:
- Be invited to participate in a writing masterclass
- Attend an exclusive Q&A with Zana Fraillon
- Receive a book pack of YA Titles courtesy of Hachette Australia
For more information please email Magenta Sheridan, Express Media Creative Producer, email@example.com